Tuesday, March 31, 2009

tough day

for those who don't know, we own a dog... and she is a very good dog. her name is Lucky. she acquired it from my father-in-law. He was on his death bed, and somehow this dog came into their yard, and was allowed to stay... being very Lucky... when he died, dad wanted James to have her. i was very close to my father-in-law... and this dog means a lot to me. well, we also have a neighbor. an easily upset neighbor... this neighbor has a dog... a very nice dog, whom Lucky loves, and wants nothing more than to play with. neighbor is very nervous around dogs, and think that all dogs fight... (not the case...)so, if neighbor and dog are outside, we try really hard to not let lucky out... all of us except the small children taking residence in my house... today, was a tough day... i went downstairs to grab a pair of clean pants out of the dryer, and when i came up, the front door was open, and the two youngest of my clan were outside... all i could hear was our neighbor yelling "NO LUCKY, GO HOME..." oh, great... i called to her, never leaving my yard, and she came right to me... (not something a dog who is a threat would do...) i don't like living in a situation that i am fearful of how people are going to react to me and my family members... even the k-9 influences... lucky would ( i am certain) never hurt this other dog, she wants to play... but this situation makes me feel like if she happens to get out... then i am going to have to pay an enormous price... i got very angry at my children, and i definately lost my cool... i have never experienced that before, and i am chosing to never go through that again. i love my kids, and i love my dog, and i love my neighbor, so what am i supposed to do?? this all hurts so much. i am completely emotionally spent, and could soon find myself in bed for the night... sorry kids, it looks like dry cheerios for dinner. i just don't think that i can pull it together after this afternoon. i have never lived in a situation (as an adult) where i am uncomfortable in my neighborhood... until now. i don't really blame my children... after all the ones involved are 2 and 3... (come on, they are babies!) really, this neighbor needs to overcome his fears of our dog, and learn that lucky wants nothing more than a friend. we have offered to have the dogs get together to meet each other, and get to know each other better, but he is too nervous... i am sooo at a lost for what to do next... does this become a situation where i have to get rid of our dog, because she is sooo longing to play with his dog? yes, she leaves our yard when the other dog is out... yes, she barks when she sees the other dog outside... (eager barking!!) i am growning weary... sorry for this bleck blog... but that is life... and it IS dirty...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are struggling with that today. I understand completely how that one feels... I hope it can be worked out, though I know it isn't easy.

    You have inspired me.. I am thinking of starting to blog again. I really haven't done that for almost two years.

    So great to see you all (except Owie.. missed him!) this weekend. Thanks for coming over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. You have the sweetest dog!

    ReplyDelete